Sunday, June 9, 2013

dark places.

I wrote this a couple days ago.

It’s been 15 years today.  I remember playing on the playground and seeing the smoke rise in the distance.  I remember being picked up mid-day from school with my brother and feeling confused about the stray from routine.  I remember seeing an endless line of emergency vehicles.  I remember seeing what was left of my house smoking in a pile of ashes.  I remember people telling me my brother and Gram had only gone on a walk and they would be back shortly.  I remember the pain in my stomach when I realized they were never coming home.  I remember someone cradling me as I cried and felt as though I was dying on the inside.  I remember the sound of my Dad’s cry hurt me the most.  I remember the feeling of despair, wondering if the pain would ever cease.  I remember my mom not being able to be awake without crying.  I remember the days that passed wondering if life would ever be normal again.  I remember the funeral with two caskets.  I remember being grateful I had turned back that morning to give Gram a kiss goodbye.  I remember people being so generous, yet not knowing how to respond to the depth of our grief.  I remember thinking if God wasn’t real I would quit, right then and there.  I remember locking my heart away in a box and living in a shallow state of numbness for fear my wounded heart would bleed to death if not kept safe. 

I have forgotten most of the next 8 years.

I remember the time I first decided to share my story again.  I remember peering into that box and feeling a wave of grief hit me like a tsunami, like an infected wound being re-opened.  I remember wondering what I had done, yet relieved I could breathe normally again.  I remember the years that followed, slowing opening the box, but always being sure not to open it too far as I still feared bleeding to death.  What I didn’t realize is that it is impossible to fully live with your heart in a box.  Without outside connection there is no blood flow, no life-giving support.  I thought the box would keep me safe, when in reality, it was slowly killing me.  I remember finally realizing that in order to heal, I had to bleed.  From this point on, the bleeding seemed a bit more tolerable because I could now see the benefit.  I remember times of distinct healing taking place in the midst of intense bleeding.  I remember the day God began to replace the darkness with light, when blood began to flow again.  I remember the day God showed me how much He had cried with my family.  I remember the day God told me it was never His intention to have an empty chair at the dinner table.  I remember the day I no longer felt the deep pain of despair.  I remember the first time I got to hold someone after losing a loved one and realized this is what it’s about.  I remember the first time I forgave myself for putting my heart in a box and the freedom that came with relief.  I remember the first time I felt gratitude for the tragedy because I saw the intimacy with my Creator it had produced. 


I like to think I open my box a bit more each day, and every day there is less and less bleeding.  The wound will live as an eternal reminder of my story, my journey.  To be honest, I wouldn’t trade my story for a second, knowing there is nothing greater than the intimacy and trust produced from walking through dark places, only to realize the light was walking next to you the whole time.

4 comments:

  1. I remember too, Laurinda, as if it were yesterday. Thanks for opening up, sharing your story, and letting His light shine through you, every day. You are a blessing to me.
    "Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in." Leonard Cohen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you shared and glad you're continue to process that life-changing event. It also gives more people insight into what such tragedies can do in people's lives and that it's through His grace and His mercy we carry on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for sharing this Laurinda. You are brave and beautiful. I'm SO thankful to have you as my friend!

    ReplyDelete